Tips for Holiday Dressing
Holidays spell joy and good cheer but can also spell “fashion crisis”! What to wear to those special events? Do you dare wear that reindeer sweater and flashing lights necklace? If you do, you are suffering from Seasonal Attire Disorder or SAD! Here are some ideas, on trend, to banish SAD and have you looking festive and stylish!
Use Accessories to up the bling quotient and add some pizazz to slacks, suits or dresses
- Sparkly pumps with a pointed toe or bejeweled smoking slipper or flats
- Dangly rhinestone earring
- Statement necklace
- Beaded collars added to a tailored blouse or simple sweater
- ornate cocktail rings and bold bracelets
- pearl necklaces, layered in multiples
- sumptuous shawls
- embellished scarves
- evening clutch
Use Fabrics for elegance
- velvet pants or blazers
- brocade jacket, pants, or dress
- lace in anything– a skirt, a blouse, a shawl or dress
- silk crepe blouse and tuxedo suit
- sequined jacket or top
Use Color and Pattern
- in a sea of black, a head to toe winter white outfit will stand out
- black and gold make a strong pairing
- a dress in a saturated hue, emerald green, cobalt blue, fuchsia, brilliant red, or a soft lavender
- metallics are a festive neutral, use liberally
- animal prints add strong accents to any outfit
Putting it all together:
- Re-imagine a sheath or A-line dress by adding a dressy jacket, sequined cardigan or bolero jacket. Add knockout jewelry, sparkly heels and an evening bag. An embellished or animal print belt can define the waist.
- A metallic tank or top under a suit can go to work. But change out your work shoes for evening shoes, your huge tote for a small glittery clutch, your dainty jewelry for some statement pieces, and your suit now goes to the office party. Another idea is to button up your white blouse under your suit and add a colorful sparkly statement necklace, as shown by Alexa Chung.
- Coated denim jeans in a metallic or rich color or pattern, paired with a cashmere sweater or dressy top, with a cool leather jacket, with a statement necklace and fun footwear is casual but party ready.
- The tuxedo look is always a classic and sophisticated and with dressy brogues, you are on trend.
- A poufy skirt is always ready to party.
You have some remedies for SAD. You need not spend a fortune to look like a million bucks! Have fun with holiday dressing, confident that you’re a current and stylish .